TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I have been receiving disability from SS 3 years and have

Customer Question

I have been receiving disability from SS for almost 3 years and have not had a medical review. My disability is bipolar disorder. I am now 63. Will I be risking a medical review by social security if I go to work part time and make less that 800 month?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Hello

People can return to work while receiving Social Security disability benefits. SSA has special rules to help you get back to work without jeopardizing your initial benefits. You may be able to have a trial work period for nine months to test whether you can work.

The trial work period allows a person to test their ability to work for at least nine months. During the trial work period,a person receives their full Social Security benefits regardless of how much their’re earning as long as they report their work, and they continue to have a disability.

You are required to report your work to your local SSA office. You cannot do this work without first advising SSA. Generally while you are in the trial period they do not do reviews for medical.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am already aware of that program. Since I am not ever going to be able to work full time, it was advised that the program is not for me. I just want to know if very little part time employment will send up a "red flag" for the SSA to review my case?

They will look at your ability to work and the hours that you are able to function. This could jeopardize your position.