dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 63 and losing my job after 27years due to them selling

Customer Question

I am 63 and losing my job after 27years due to them selling and moving the business. My question is Can I apply for a percentage of my husbands SS until I reach my full age for retirement
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you apply before your full retirement age you will automatically receive the higher of your own or your spousal benefits. Before your full retirement age you cannot apply for spousal without affecting your own. If you were 62 at the end of 2015 you can file a restricted application once you reach full retirement age, meaning you can stop your own benefits, claim spousal only and at 70 resume your own. Unfortunately this option is not available before full retirement age.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?