dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife ( age 63) is currently unemployed and has been 2

Customer Question

My wife ( age 63) is currently unemployed and has been for over 2 years. She is also in poor health. She applied, but was denied disability. My question is , considering that she more than likely will not work again, will the current monthly payments remain the same at age 66 that the statement estimates show now or will they be reduced?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If she applied for her benefits before her full retirement age, she is receiving reduced benefits. The benefits were reduced permanently, meaning she will not get higher benefits at full retirement age and her benefits will not be reduced at 66 either.

If she haven't applied for her benefits yet, you can use the estimates to calculate her reduced benefits using the online calculator here: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/early_late.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?