annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity

I just lost my husband on 5/3, i did receive my social

Customer Question

i just lost my husband on 5/3, i did receive my social security of $855 on 5/25, i just checked my online banking an another ck for $860 was entered, i thought my husbands ck would come on the of the month and that would be for $1715 i understand that this ck is the only ck i will get for the month of june, has something changed?what will i have to do with the extra ck now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 4 months ago.

Hi Anne

I'm Anne too. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.

First, let me tell you how sorry I am on the passing of your husband. The older we (my husband & I ) the more we have to think about those final arrangements. Never an easy thing.

When a spouse dies, the surviving spouse is entitled to either THEIR regular Social Security, OR the deceased spouse's Social Security, whichever is MORE.

Since your husband's monthly Social Security distribution was more than yours, you will receive $1715/month from now on, and that's why you got the additional check. '

I realize that this means that you will not have the same $ amount per month as you did when your husband was still here, since you would have the $1715 plus your $855 each month, but they do pay the higher amount.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanwer.