LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am on medicare part A I am 70 in August. when I was 62 I

Customer Question

I am on medicare part A I am 70 in August. when I was 62 I took SS. So the past 8 yr I was on my husband insurance.
My husband just turn 65 and he just register for part A
So do we sign up for part B (C or D???) Everyone says we will be pentilazed.
What should we do. My husband is self employed and we Health Ins NHP and we pay $1900.00 a month for 2 .
Can you advise me what to do.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Alice,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because you husband was self-employed and not an employee under an employer's Group Health Plan, then you should have signed up for Medicare Part B and D when you reached age 65. Because you did not do that, and while you can apply in the next open enrollment period, you will pay a 10% penalty for Part B for every year that you did not have part B----which based on your age will result in a penalty of 50% of your Part B premium. This is still probably a better deal than continuing to pay the $1900 per month for the coverage that you have. The Penalty on your Part D Medicare will be 15% per year, or in your case a total of 60% increase on your Part D premium. There is no Part C penalty.

The two penalties that you will have to pay will amount to about $80 per month for both Part A and Part D.

All of this is probably still a lot less per month than maintaining your present private coverage, and as your husband just turned 65, he will not have a penalty if he applied for Part A, B and D now within 3 months of his turning 65.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,