Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,

If someone is married years, their spouse dies, the widow

Customer Question

If someone is married for 34 years, their spouse dies, the widow works for 22 years and now wants to collect half of the spouses social security. Is this a possibillity
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 months ago.

Here is how it works:

If you are under full retirement age (usually 66):

If you were married at least 10 years (you were) and have not remarried you can collect the greater of a benefit based on your earnings record or 1/2 you spouse's benefit.

If you are at or beyond full retirement age (again 66):

if you were not remarried you can collect the greater of your benefit or that or your spouse but not both. If you began collecting before attaining age 66 and were collecting the 1/2 benefit noted above it will now change to the greater benefit I just described.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 months ago.

Do you need additional assistance? If so, please feel free to ask. If not, please rate my service to you. Thank you for the opportunity to provide assistance.