annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity

My daughters grandparents have legal custody of her. she was

Customer Question

my daughters grandparents have legal custody of her. she was receiving under my ssdi benefits. does her benefits stop?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 5 months ago.

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years, and I'll be happy to help you.

They might. The following is from

Ineligible parent and eligible child no longer live in the same household:

If an ineligible parent and an eligible child no longer live in the same household, deeming of that parent's income stops effective the month after the month the parent (or child) leaves the household, for purposes of determining eligibility.

If the child remains eligible for SSI, determine the payment amount using income (including any deemed income) in the budget month.

You will want to check out the following links also:

Although the above links give you a pretty good idea of how much, and which type of income is counted and also what happens when the eligible child moves to a new location (her grandparent's), your best source of information would be your local SSA office.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
unfortunately, you did not answer my daughters grandparents have LEGAL custody. does my daughters benefits under my ssdi stop?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please either refund my money or give me more direct answers about my questions. i would expect an answer soon. thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if not handled professionally, then i will contact customer service for a refund, or my credit card will file for a charge back on your services thanks

Hi Jeff

I'm sorry that my first answer fell short.

Your daughter MAY still be eligible for SSI . It depends on the income and resources she receives in her current home. Below is the "type " of income that SSA looks at when calculating whether or not an individual is eligible for SSI

Again, if you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i'm not talking about SSI or alternatives. my situation is my parents have LEGAL custody of my daughter. does her benefits under my SSDI stop? We do not have any contact with her at all. SSA mentioned parental involvement required.. i want my daughters benefits to stop since my parents are not using the benefits for my daughter. what should i do in this situation?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
btw, you will see that you called me: Jeff. Any professional reason for that?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you getting my questions?

I called you Jeff because at the top of this thread it states your name is Jeff.

Jeff has 1 open request.

If that is not your name, I apologize

I will get back with you in a couple of minutes, I just want to check something out first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I please get an appropriate answer soon

I will "opt out" of this question which puts it back on the "open" question board for another expert to answer.

There is alot of talent here, and I sincerely ***** ***** this question is picked up by another expert soon.

Please have a good weekend, and I hope this question is picked up soon.