LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was getting ss benefit based on my late husband. Then I

Customer Question

I was getting ss benefit based on my late husband. Then I returned to work and just didn't think about the earnings impact. Bot***** *****ne is that I was overpaid. SS said the amount I needed to repay was $16,000 and we made arrangement for me to repay at $300/mo. After a couple years, they sent a letter saying the amount was $20,000 after they recalculated. I wrote them with all of the my documents on how much I earned, how much I rec'd from SS, etc. but can't get anyone to talk to me. I'm told they will only make an appointment for you to sit down with one of the reps if you are filing a claim. Otherwise, you can sit the room for hours waiting for your number to be called. Then at the counter, you talk with someone who obviously knows nothing about your situation. Does social sec have an "advocate" or an individual that works with one on issued like this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Judy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: Does social sec have an "advocate" or an individual that works with one on issued like this?

No, unfortunately social security does not have advocates or ombudsmen to assist you in situations like this.

Have you consider filing a waiver in an attempt to avoid the overpayment claim?

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you if you have further questions.

Doug