Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My brother has been collecting social security disability

Customer Question

My brother has been collecting social security disability payments since he was 57. He claimed he was hurt on the job and could no longer work. He had been hurt in a car accident prior to this and had back surgery. I know he did not want to work any longer and just wanted to play golf and so. he got away with it. He thinks he is very clever and can manipulate people for his own gain and purpose. He has played golf every chance he could while living in NJ and has recently moved to SC to play golf every day and not be under scrutiny by Social Security. He is now 66 and is very proud of himself..
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

...

Detecting fraud CAN be a really hard process from start to finish, but necessary to maintain the integrity of the program.

..

And for someone not a part OF the system this can be an even harder task, so before reporting an alleged fraud, consider the long long road that may be ahead and all that goes into pinpointing fraudulent activity.

...

If you suspect someone is violating the law and is, in fact, fraudulently collecting disability benefits:

1. You need to know the reason why the person has been approved for benefits. If you are unable to determine this, research will need to be conducted to determine the truth before accusations are made.
  2. You need to be aware that even though you see this person, you may not fully understand how the person’s impairment causes difficulties in daily living.
  3. Some people receiving Social Security Disability suffer from mental or psychological disorders; these are not often easy to pinpoint as an outsider, and it may be difficult to judge how these conditions could interrupt the daily activities.

...

When in doubt, do not be afraid to ask questions and look into the actions of the person. This can greatly help you determine where the t***** *****es. If you do still truly suspect someone of committing a fraudulent act, you should consider reporting that individual.

• You should begin by contacting the toll-free Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, and clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise, I’m working for no crediting here at all..

But if there’s something you don’t understand, or you need clarification, please let me know

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law), an MBA, (specialization in finance & tax), as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986