emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My late husband was a municipal employee (firefighter) whose

Customer Question

My late husband was a municipal employee (firefighter) whose retirement pay was through our County. He also worked a second job for 30 years and paid into social security for that. I took early benefits from my own job at age 62 since I'd worked full-time, giving me a larger amount. I have recently been told that when I turn 65 this coming fall, I will be eligible for half his social security benefits along with my own. Is this true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can only collect one type of benefits at the time; your own or spousal but not both at the same time. Also, because you applied for your own benefits early before your full retirement age your own but also your spousal benefits had been permanently reduced. It means you will not be eligible for full 50%, but only for about 32%.

Bellow is a link to a spousal benefits calculator to determine the exact percentage based on your age and when you applied for your benefits:

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html

But you may be eligible for survivor benefits, if you husband passed away. But again, because you applied for our benefits early, you will not be eligible for 100%, more like 75-80%. And the same rule would apply, one benefit at the time. You cannot receive your own and your spousal and/or survivor benefits all at the same time.

You are still offline. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.