Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My adult son, who I give shelter and food to, had a

Customer Question

My adult son, who I give shelter and food to, had a redetermination interview done recently. Because I had had him listed as a beneficiary on my checking and savings accounts, SS was including those accounts are resources to him. I told them as of Oct 15 (before any payments were made to him) that I had him removed as beneficiary. They are now requesting copies of all my banking accounts for the last six months to verify that these are not "Co-Own" accounts. I stated that they are individual accounts. If I need to send these banking statements to them can I white out my banking transactions, as I feel they have no rights viewing my banking transactions, only the title of my accounts.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, you cannot do that. The transaction activities are relevant to SSA's request. SSA needs to know what is going on in the account to make a determination whether the account is yours only or belongs to you and your son.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.