lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My daughter was receiving $733 per month in disability. I

Customer Question

My daughter was receiving $733 per month in disability. I began sending her $250 a month for misc. items ,they then cut her benefits to $600 per month. Is this justified? How can we get them to reinstate the $733 monthly payments. My tax consultant does not understand why her payments were cut back .
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.

It sounds as your daughter receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

That is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

--It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and

--It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

The amount of SSI is based on your daughter needs so if she has $250 a month income - that income is considered (regardless if it is taxable or not).

$733 per month is the maximum SSI payment.

So - if you stop sending her the money - and she would inform the SSA about changes in her income - she most likely will receive larger amount.

Here are requirements to report any additional income for SSI recipients - see attached.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.

.

.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all related issues.