Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How can a 35 year old woman with 2 girls in elementary

Customer Question

how can a 35 year old woman with 2 girls in elementary school who collects SSI death benefits since the passing of her husband 5 years ago at a very young age obtain health care benefits for herself. She gets the health care benefits for her children but cannot get herself covered by SSI, what is she doing wrong when trying to get coverage for herself. PLEASE HELP
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Hi,...I see you've requested a phone consult - I'll make the offer....Lane......I hold a law degree, (concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law), an MBA, (specialization in finance & tax), as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't want phone call please respond HERE
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lane please tell me how you are going to respond I don't want the phone call thank you
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I didn;t see that you had come back....I just made the offer becasue I saw the request on the screen..."(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed."
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
OK what could be happening here is that you aren't at the VERY impoverished level required for SSI....And if you're in a state (like me, in GA) that hasn't expanded Medicaid - you could be in that "gap," where you aren't low enough in assets and income to get medicaid but can't get coverage through the MarketPlace (Obamacare/ACA) either...CAn you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
california
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Ok let me pull up the regs
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
California has generous standards for covering various Medicaid populations. Children from birth through age 18 are covered with family income levels up to 266 percent of FPL [federal poverty level]. Pregnant women qualify with incomes up to 213 percent of FPL, and nonelderly adults — both those with and without dependent children — are covered up to 138 percent of FPL. MCAP (Medi-Cal Access Program) is also available to pregnant women with household incomes between 213 percent and 322 percent of FPL (for Medi-Cal and MCAP eligibility, a pregnant woman counts as two people when determining household income relative to the poverty level). MCAP enrollment was integrated with Covered California in October 2015.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Have you looked at Marketplace coverage? (Using Advance Premium Tax Credits to pay for your on health insurance)?
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
If you'd like to give me your estimated monthly household income, I can work through the projection tonse if you qualify...Or you can do so on your own here:...http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/estimator/premiumtaxcreditchange/estimator.htm
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
From what I am seeing, not knowing more about your specifics, "COVERED CALIFORNIA," is where you want to start....See this from Covered California:..."Covered California is the place where Californians can get brand-name health insurance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. It’s the only place to get federal premium assistance to help you buy private insurance from companies like the ones listed on the right. That means you may qualify for a discount on private insurance, or get health insurance through the state’s Medi-Cal program. Either way, you’ll get great health coverage."
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Although Medicaid has not typically covered adults who are not disabled or elderly, Covered California has been signing up non-elderly adults for a couple of years now (and can facilitate with large discounts or advance premium tax credits to help pay, or for in some cases completely pay, for your coverage.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
See this:...http://www.coveredca.com/about/
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the smile or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”)…I receive no crediting at all unless you rate in this way....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree, (concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law), an MBA, (specialization in finance & tax), as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Hello?