emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Lady, age 75 was married years to husband who was higher

Customer Question

Lady, age 75 was married for 18 years to husband who was higher wage earner and they got divorced back in 1971. Husband remarries and 2nd wife passes away in 2003. Ex-Husband passed away last year. Would Lady be able to increase her payout/benefit as a result of her marriage to her Ex-husband?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. As long as she didn't get married again before 60, she will qualify for ex-spouse benefits. She will not be able to apply for the benefits online, she will need an appointment at the local social security office. I would advice to call ahead and ask what she will need to bring to proof her eligibility.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Can you point me to a cite or source in case the agent is confused... Thank you.
There are several website: