dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have been drawing S S . I am now 79, my ex wife passed

Customer Question

I have been drawing S S for years . I am now 79, my ex wife passed away in 2015. my children think her S S was more than mine. that say i should apply to see if I would receive more monthly.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You may be eligible for surviving benefits if you were married for at least 10 years and after the divorce you didn't remarry before 60. Yes, your children are correct, if your ex wife benefits were higher than yours, you may get higher of monthly benefits. But if you applied for your own before your full retirement age, you will not be eligible for 100% of hers. You will have to visit your local social security office and discuss your option with a SSA agent. You will need a proof of your marriage and hopefully SSA already know she passed away so they can check your eligibility.