emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I am 59 and disabled, I receive social security disability.

Customer Question

I am 59 and disabled, I receive social security disability. My wife will be 62 in November and would like to retire. Can she file for her social security retirement benefits and spousal benefits? If so, how does this work and how would she apply? Does she apply for both benefits at the same time?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. She can only collect one benefits at the time; spousal or her own. At 62 she will automatically get the highest she is eligible for. Because she is not at full retirement age, at 62 she will get about 75% of her own benefits or about 32% of spousal benefits, whichever are higher. Here's a benefits calculator: on her age when she actually apply for the benefits she can calculate an exact percentage.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.