TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I am 72 years old and still working. I receive a monthly

Customer Question

I am 72 years old and still working. I receive a monthly Social Security check. Will the amount increase when I stop working and have no income?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.
HelloYour SSA benefit is not reduced because you have other income after you reach full retirement age (66). You may see an increase in your benefit though because you are working and still paying into SS.Each year SSA reviews the records for all working Social Security recipients. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years they used to compute your retirement benefit, they will recalculate your benefit amount. SSA pays the increase retroactive to January the year after you earned the money.