Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I collect social security. I was married 18 years and

Customer Question

I collect social security. I was married 18 years and divorced over 25 years ago. Do I still qualify to collect on my ex-husband's social security? I began collecting at age 63 and am currently 67 years old. My doctor advised me to inquire about this option.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you were married for more than 10 years (you were) if your spouse, if currently collecting SS benefits or is of age and you have been divorced more than 2 years and if you are of sufficient age to collect SS (you are). You can receive up to a 50% benefit but since you retired at age 63, you are deemed to have collected the spousal benefit at that time as well. You will get around 38% of of your exes benefit because of this as the ex spousal benefit. Also understand that you do not get this benefit in addition to your own SS benefit. You get the higher of the two benefits, so your spousal benefit must be higher than you own benefit to increase what you receive from SS. So to answer your question, yes you can collect an ex spousal benefit based on the facts you have provided. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?