emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I began receiving my social security benefits at age 66. I

Customer Question

I began receiving my social security benefits at age 66. I am now 69. My benefit is approximately 2290.00 My wife began receiving her benefits at age 62 she is now 71. Her benefit amounts to 790.00 per month. Is she eligible to receive half of my benefit amounting to 1145.00 rather than the 790.00 she now receives, and if so how do we apply for the change?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.Because your wife took early benefits at 62, she will not be eligible for the full 50% of your benefits. She will be eligible for about 32% yours. What's your spouse's birthday and when she applied for her benefits? I can give you more accurate percentage as long as I know how many month before her full retirement age she was receiving her benefits.
A spousal benefit is reduced 25/36 of one percent for each month before normal retirement age, up to 36 months. If the number of months exceeds 36, then the benefit is further reduced 5/12 of one percent per month.... Here's link to the calculator: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html#calculator
Jack, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.