emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Does a child's social security benefits count towards

Customer Question

Does a child's social security benefits count towards supporting the child's living expenses so that the older sister whom the child lives with would not be able to claim the child as a dependent for income tax purposes
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. While the social security income is not taxable it counts towards the child's support. As long as the child is not providing more than 50% of his own support the sister can claim him. The older sister's income should be at least twice of the child's social security income to qualify.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Cathy, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.