dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am 67 yrs old and still working, but decided to collect

Customer Question

I am 67 yrs old and still working, but decided to collect social security retirement benefits as I am over my full retirement age. Recently I had to go on short term disability from work for back surgery. I have paid into short term disability to Raytheon Co. For over 40 years. My. Disability claim through MetLife was approved but I was told that my disability payments would be reduced by the amount of social security retirement benefits I receive. I do not understand that, why should I be penalized because I receive social security? Do you have any information about this? At a time when I need to pay medical bills, this is really hurting me. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Margaret ******* Margaret ****************
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.