lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My husband passed away May 8,2016 and I received two letters

Customer Question

My husband passed away May 8,2016 and I received two letters today regarding my future benefits.
I think I have lost my mind because I have already misplaced the letters.
Can you please help me?
Jerry Regene Warner###-##-####
My husband's SSN is###-##-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 9 months ago.
I am deeply sorry about your loss.Here are some information you might receivedHow Social Security Can Help You When a Family Member Dieshttps://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10008.pdfYou may print that publication or you may read on your screen.You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so he or she can make the report..Documents you may need to provideThe SSA may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:Proof of the worker's death;Birth certificate or other proof of birth;Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; andMarriage certificateQuestions?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 9 months ago.
You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so he or she can make the report..Documents you may need to provideThe SSA may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:Proof of the worker's death;Birth certificate or other proof of birth;Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; andMarriage certificate..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.