lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My wife died at age 62. What happens to her SS benefits?

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the loss of your wife.Her eligibility for social security benefits ended on the last month she was alive on the last day of that month.However - some family members might be eligible for survival benefits based on her earning record.Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more he or she paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16 -- 75 percent.A child under age 18 (19 if still in elementary or secondary school) or disabled -- 75 percent.Dependent parent(s) of the deceased worker, age 62 or older:One surviving parent -- 82½ percent.Two surviving parents -- 75 percent to each parent.Please let me know if you need any details.