lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am on s.s disability my wife is turning 62 and she still

Customer Question

I am on s.s disability my wife is turning 62 and she still works but she is applying for s.s and will still work. Can this affect my s.s.d ? My s.s.d is 2120.00 she will be getting 789.00 on her s.s.. She will make 11.000 from her job that will total 45908.00 will this affect are s.s ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Can this affect my s.s.d ?Facts you mentioned - that you spouse will start her social security benefits and your spouse will continue to work will NOT affect your disability benefits.She will make 11.000 from her job that will total 45908.00 will this affect are s.s ?She can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if she is younger than full retirement age - which is 66 - and makes more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce her benefit. Starting with the month she will reach full retirement age, the SSA will not reduce your benefits no matter how much she earns.The SSA uses the following earnings limits to reduce benefits for those under full retirement age for the entire year - they deduct $1 from benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.For 2016 that limit is $15,720.As your wife will earn less than that amount - her social security benefits will NOT be affected..Does that answer your questions?