lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My wife is 62.5 and is getting ssdi past 3 years. She gets

Customer Question

My wife is 62.5 and is getting ssdi for the past 3 years. She gets $2365 per month. I am 62.5 and having some health issues ,I am being told to apply for ssdi and get $ 2365 also. Is this a good idea ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
If you qualify for disability - yes - that would be the best approach.You should apply as soon as you become disabled. If you apply forSocial Security, disability benefits will not begin until the sixth full month of disability. The Social Security disability waiting period begins with the first full month after the date we decide your disability began.Supplemental Security Income (SSI), we pay SSI disability benefits for the first full month after the date you filed your claim, or, if later, the date you become eligible for SSI.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
How To ApplyYou can apply for Disability benefits online, or if your prefer, you can apply by calling our toll-free number, 1-***-***-****. Our representatives there can make an appointment for your application to be taken over the telephone or at any convenient Social Security office.People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our toll-free "TTY" number, 1-***-***-****, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday.Here is the publication you might find helpful me know if you need any help here.