How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 28082
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are both retired. He will gross $22,044 in

Customer Question

My husband and I are both retired. He will gross $22,044 in SS payments for 2016 & I will make $19,776. Between the 2 of us we will also gross $38,676 in pension payments. We had to pay the IRS $4,750 for 2015 taxes. My husband worked full time from 1/1/15 to 4/30/2015 and also received his monthly SS benefit of $1837. We don't want to owe a lot of money this year. Currently $200 is being taken for federal taxes (per month) and $100 for state. Can you please help us. We want to take any addt'l tax out of my SS.Thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
I will estimate your tax liability - but I need to know your income
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Please confirm if that understanding is correct$22,044 - your husband's social security benefits$19,776 - your social security benefitsYou mentioned pension - but did not specify amounts?You mentioned that your husband works - but did not specify his wages?>Please reply.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Please do not open another questions - just keep posting on THIS page.So far your annual income is as followingYour husband's social security benefits $1,837 monthly = $22044Your husband's pension $323 * 12 = $2796Your social security benefits $1,648 per mo = $19776Based on that information - NONE of your social security benefits are taxable - and you DO not have any tax liability.You would not be required to file - and I suggest to stop withholding..To stop withholding from your social security benefits - you need to file form W4V check box 7I want you to stop withholding federal income tax from my payment(s)..Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Related Social Security Questions