Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am waiting appeal from the SSA, am I responsible mistakes?

Customer Question

I am waiting for an appeal from the SSA, am I responsible for their mistakes? I worked for 10 years in NYC as a textile designer... I told by SSA that I was entitled to widows benefits from my deceased husband WP Brandt in 2006. I advised them when I married William F Johnston in 2009. SSA said I was entitled to spousal benefits. Why should I not be entitled to spousal benefits? Why do i have to take a cut in benefits and repay $6563.50 . Also in the annual 2016 benefits letter said beginning 1/13/2016 I would receive $1047.90 less $104.90 for Medicare = $943
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
If you have overpayment and it is SSA's fault and you have applied for waiver of overpayment, then you need to wait until SSA's decision in the case. However, if the SSA rules against you, the overpayment must be repaid regardless of SSA's role in the mistake. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.