Andy4712
Andy4712, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Attorney working in social security.
17793914

I am having difficulties with others using my social

Customer Question

I am having difficulties with others using my social security number. One situation is anther county using my SSN for Homeowners tax exemption. I use the discount for my home in San Bernardino and others are using the exemption in San Dieg0. They want me to send my information but I did not. Only one can use this exemption and have to be a resident 6 months. Also the are taking loans and purchases. What should I do?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 6 months ago.
I would file a police report. Here is a page from SS that tells you what to do:https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3792/What-should-I-do-if-I-think-someone-is-using-my-Social-Security-numberWhat should I do if I think someone is using my Social Security number?If you think someone is using your number, there are several actions you can take. Note that we can only resolve Social Security number reporting problems on our own records.Review your Social Security earnings record Review the earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement. To get your online Statement, go to my Social Security and check your account. If you see any inconsistencies, contact the Social Security Administration. We consider identity theft one of our major challenges so we have joined in government-wide efforts to prevent Social Security number misuse.Visit IdentityTheft.gov to report identity theft and get a recovery planIdentityTheft.gov guides you through each step of the recovery process. It’s a one-stop resource managed by the Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency.Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for issues involving taxesIf you believe someone is using your Social Security number to work, get your tax refund, or other abuses involving a taxes, contact the IRS.To contact the IRS:Go to http://www.irs.gov/uac/Identity-Protection; orCall 1-***-***-**** FREE. Order a free credit report You can order free credit reports annually from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union).Make a single request for all three credit bureau reports:Go to online and fill out the Annual Credit Report Request Form; orCall 1-***-***-**** FREEFile a police reportFile a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.More InformationIdentity Theft And Your Social Security NumberInternet Privacy Policy
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 6 months ago.
Do you have your social security card? I could copy it and mail it to the assessor.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 6 months ago.
Excuse me. I meant to say you could copy it and mail it to the assessor. Also, you should not provide your social security number on this website as it is public.