dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I need help of an expert that is familiar with the "Totalization

Customer Question

I need help of an expert that is familiar with the "Totalization Agreement with Sweden"
and the "Windfall Elimination Provision". As a Swedish Citizen I lived and worked in Sweden
From 1963 to 1982. I paid my due taxes in Sweden. 1982 I got married in US-Virgin Island
and got a green card. Started to work there and paid my taxes to US. In 2011 at age 65 I started to receive my Swedish Pension =(Social Security) as we call it in USA.
2012 at age 66 I started to receive my US Social Security. To my surprise there was a reduction of my monthly Social Security check, currently $333.00 monthly. I have tried to get this corrected but was always turned down. The reason I got is the above described Agreement & Provision. I read it many times but nowhere can I find a reason that it would apply to me. I Paid my taxes for my pension in Sweden. I also paid all my taxes in USA, but the Social Security administration must assume that I was an American citicen when I worked in Sweden and did not pay any taxes on that earnings.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply. This is about the WEP, not the Totalization agreement, I believe. Are you thinking that the WEP does not apply to your SS calculations? Can you clarify for me how many years you worked paying US SS taxes and if that was all full time work?