dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

Well, , I am searching answers mother, who is 80, lives alone, pays h

Customer Question

Well, hello, I am searching for some answers for my mother, who is 80, lives alone, pays her rent, and recently $400. was extracted from her monthly SS check. Ive been seeing news clips that people must "ask" for their SS to be increased, or else they won't get their money! She definitely needs some advice on this Further more, she opted out of Medicare because no Dr on the island she lives on has any know how to help her with any physical issues she's gone in for. She wants the extra funds from SS, rather than the Medicare, which has been useless and a waste of her time.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Social security benefits are calculated based on work credit and earning history. It is not something that can be negotiated. If she is not getting maximum benefits she is entitled to, she can check with her local office if maybe her spousal or survivor benefits would be higher. But there are no extra funds available upon request.Medicare Part A is available to everybody. Part B and D are optional. But not participating in Medicare Part B or D will not increase her benefits. Medicare Part B premium is about 1300 for a year. She will probably not find a private insurance for that price at her age.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This does not help me at all! :(
I am sorry but I cannot tell you that she is eligible for benefits if it is not true. Those news clips you have seen on TV are misleading.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not satisfied....
This is unsatisfactory.
I must go to the office down the street.
Thanks anyway.