dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

How will your dd214 affect you ss

Customer Question

how will your dd214 affect you ss
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Your DD-214 is the document officially releasing you from serving in active duty. In and of itself, it does not effect your Social Security benefits. However, if you are eligible for some special military credits, which should be automatic, but are not credited or are not sure if you are credited, you would use your DD-214 to prove you were military when you visited your local SSA office to inquire.
Receipt of military benefits does NOT reduce your social security benefits earned on your work record, if that is what you were worried about.