Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

My employer's disability policy only pays until I reach age

Customer Question

My employer's disability policy only pays until I reach age 70 however it is documented in the 5 year plan that I intended to work until I was 72. The insurance company said they cannot extend payments to me until 72. I also collect social security. Please advise and thanks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, your rights and obligations under your disability policy are contractual in nature. In other words, what was purchased is what you have a right to. In your case, your employer bought you a policy that covers you until age 70. (This would allow you to delay collecting SS until age 70, should you have chosen to, so that your SS benefit would increase by 32% over its "full" amount, as reward for not collecting it til age 70). The purchased contract does not change simply because you intend to work til 72 if able, or 80 or 90. All that was paid for was the premiums to get you to age 70. I am afraid you are stuck with it and will not be able to extend it.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!