TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I turn 66 November 14, 2016, still working and I was married

Customer Question

I turn 66 November 14, 2016, still working and I was married for 10 years. Can I file for SS in September to receive my ex-husbands (50%) SS, and wait to file mine until I retire?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.
HelloIf you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:You are unmarried;You are age 62 or older;Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits andThe benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work. If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the divorced spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date. If your birthday is ***** 2, 1954 or later, the option to take only one benefit at full retirement age no longer exists. If you file for one benefit, you will be effectively filing for all retirement or spousal benefits.Your birth year allows you to use the option you desire.