emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My husband and I have been married 38 years ,I collected my

Customer Question

my husband and I have been married 38 years ,I collected my SS at 62.He will collect his at 66 next year.If he passes away, since his SS is a lot more then mine will I collect 100 percent of his SS?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Because you started you benefits early, at 62 you will not be eligible for 100 of his benefits. .... Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age as a survivor. If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age.... Here you will find a table to you can look up by how much:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so if the chart shows 1000.00 and I would get 800.00 and some if I understand this right if his ss is 2000.00 I would get about 1600.00?
Yes. That's about right. You will get 80% which would be $1600. If you take your benefits at 62, you will loose about 20 - 25% of your benefits depending on your actual birthday and your full retirement age.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.