TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

Can I work part time, if so how much can I make a month and

Customer Question

can I work part time, if so how much can I make a month and keep my benifits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.
HelloIf you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, your earnings may reduce your benefit amount. The SSA advises the following:If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn. If you were born between 1/2/1943 and 1/1/1955, your full retirement age is 66 years.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded to my answer posted first above