dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I was receiving $557.00 a month and it was decreased in March

Customer Question

I was receiving $557.00 a month and it was decreased in March down to $167.00...the answer I got was, my husband made too much money!! What does that have to do with MY SS money that I paid and earned?!!! Also, my husband retired on April 1, 2016...what will they do about that...give me my original amount with interest?
Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Can you verify what exactly benefits do you receive?Is that social security benefits based on YOUR working record ORthat is a supplemental security income (SSI) based on your financial needs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My working record
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
If these are social security benefits based on YOUR working record - they may be ONLY affected if (1) you are below your FRA - full retirement age and (2) YOU have earned income that is above certain limit.Whatever earned by your spouse would not be relevant - I believe that is a misunderstanding.Suggesting to communicate with the SSA again and verify the exact reason for reduction.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I turned 65 in March of this year and trust me, I did not earn above a limit!
I received a letter that stated flat out that my $$ was decreased because of his high earnings!
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Can you scan and post the letter here?Please blank out all personal information.I will verify the exact meaning of your letter.