dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am attorney representing a wife, non-government employee

Customer Question

I am attorney representing a wife, non-government employee who has contributed to Social Security all of her working life (she is 59). Her husband is a government (City of Boston) retiree in pay status but has been in the private sector for 22 years earning substantial income and paying Social Security. He also has one other pension (private employer not in pay status) and two other very valuable contribution plans. I need to know the difference in impact on his Social Security if he takes under his own account or if he applies using Wife's benefit, which will be more substantial. What is the impact and how much. Hard time understanding GPO vs. WEP.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Counselor,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. When will your client first take her social security retirement benefit?2. How old is the husband at present?3. Is the husband continuing to work in the private sector?Thanks in advance,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Hi Rosemary,I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience. Thanks in advance,Doug