Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Im turning 62 in august and planing to take ss then. When

Customer Question

Im turning 62 in august and planing to take ss then. When my wife turns 66 in four years im told I can file against her ss and recieve about 50 percent . That is more than my there any reason I shouldn't do this.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
No, there is not. However, you can only file for her benefits if she is also receiving benefits at that time. Also, you do not receive two different benefits: one from yours and one from your wife's. What you would receive is a combination of benefits that would total the higher amount. For more information, click on the link below: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.