lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

May I get off the SSI program and recieve regular Social Security?

Customer Question

May I get off the SSI program and recieve regular Social Security? I am 69 years of age. I would like to know how this works. Thank you for your time and expertise.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Credits are the "building blocks" we use to find out whether you have the minimum amount of covered work to qualify for each type of Social Security benefits. If you stop working before you have enough credits to qualify for benefits, your credits will stay on your record. If you return to work later on, you can add more credits so that you can qualify. No benefits can be paid if you do not have enough credits.You must have at least 40 credits to qualify.You are not currently entitled to a retirement benefit, but you may become entitled with additional work. Read our publication, "How You Earn Credits," for more information.Also, if you are not entitled to retirement benefits on your record, you may still be entitled to benefits on the record of a current or divorced spouse. For more information:Read our publication on "Survivors Benefits," if your spouse (or ex-spouse) is deceased, orGo to "Benefits For You As A Spouse."Questions?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
You are not currently entitled to a retirement benefit, but you may become entitled with additional work. Read our publication, "How You Earn Credits," for more information.https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10072.pdfAlso, if you are not entitled to retirement benefits on your record, you may still be entitled to benefits on the record of a current or divorced spouse. For more information:Read our publication on "Survivors Benefits," if your spouse (or ex-spouse) is deceased,https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdforGo to "Benefits For You As A Spouse."..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.