emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Does the law allow me to garnish a persons s.s. or s.s.i. if

Customer Question

does the law allow me to garnish a persons s.s. or s.s.i. if I have a judgement against someone for $50,000.00 plus the interest its accured because he refuses to pay me back.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will e happy to help you. Social security income and any type of pension (government or private) are protected from most creditors. Only government can levy pension and social security funds directly.However, once the funds are deposited into a bank account the funds can be garnish, with certain limitations.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so, am I to believe once money is in his bank account-I can then? what limitations?
Once the money are deposited into a bank account, they are not protected any more. However banks needs to keep certain minimum protected from creditors if money is from social security. Usually 2 month worth of income.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this guy dosent like keeping his money in banks so first chance he gets, would be w/ding it all-so I don't imagine he'd even keep 2 days of income in it. so what do you suggest? remember he is a thief and isn't going to make available his money
Those are the rules. As third party creditor you cannot go directly to payer (SSA or his 401K administrator) and banks has to follow their rules too. It is not impossible to garnish somebody's pension but it is not easy.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why didn't my lawyer attempt garnishing or even suggest this possible solution to me I wonder-actually my friend told me because her bank acct. was to her shock one day when she noticed money missing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so many of our laws must factually hav been written by dishonest people because I seems to me the guilty are much more protected than the innocents
I don't know. That's something you need to ask your lawyer. Yes, the guilty and the cheater are often protected even when it comes to taxes. Welfare queens know exactly when to quit their jobs to get maximum benefits and maximum earned income credit. A dishonest business owner knows exactly how to manipulate his income deductions to maximize his tax credits.Here's a summary what is and what is not protected:
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you still there? sorry so slow-I am disabled
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
very good, will do
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is this only link you can suggest to help me? now again-are you a credible person of law I have shared with and not for entertainment purposes? do not mean to insult but for me this is serious, you understand
Yes, there are other links- from free credit powered by Experian from Investopedia - Avvo - a legal website, respond from a lawyer Fox News, business section I picked up the first one because it was written in plain language.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess not.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i'll get back to you on this then, you never signed off with me-wasn't done yet
I am sorry, I signed off at 11.30pm. I didn't see you online and didn't think somebody will online so late.