Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm about to be kicked out of my house my mom wants me out

Customer Question

I'm about to be kicked out of my house my mom wants me out of the house I'm single woman low income and I need to find housing can you help me please can I apply for housing through ssi or any means how long will it take and whats the best way for me to do it
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Good morning, OK, the federal government's SSA does not handle housing issues, only the benefits of social security disability and supplemental security income. HOWEVER, you will want to go to your county Assistance office ASAP, I say asap because there is often a waiting list for housing to open up (it may be called: "welfare office, medical assistance office, medicaid office, etc.). Thus, in response to how long it takes? Anywhere from a few months to a few years, depending on your area and how many people filed a request before you who are still waiting. I DO think the office errs on the side of caution and overstate the wait, to protect you. When my father applied, they said there was a 2 year wait but they called with an opening in 6 months.). And the best way for you to do it? Go in person to your assistance office.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is a county assist office is it the social services department?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and what kind of housing do they actually offer and how much is that housing?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it could be. It likely can be found by googling it in your area/county. And the kind of housing offered (usually apartment) depends on what your county has and offers - all places are different. Some low income housing entails paying 1/3 of your income for rent, with the state covering the rest. SO if you are getting SSI of $733, you may pay about $250. But again, it varies, so you must apply to find out. You would also want to file for other programs at that same office, like food stamps if you don't have them already.