dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I'm an ex-wife twice. My first husband has now retired. We

Customer Question

I'm an ex-wife twice. My first husband has now retired. We were married 13 1/2 years. My understanding is that if his earning were higher than mine, his highest 3 years, that I'm entitled to 1/2 of his benefits if that is more than what I am currently receiving from Social Security. I began receiving benefits when I was 62, and I now am 74. At that time, my earnings were more than his.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You are entitled to 50% of his benefits if you wait until your full retirement age to apply for it. Because you applied early, at 62 you permanently reduced your own and your spousal as well by about 25%. If your own benefits were higher than his 12 years ago, they are most likely still higher but you can check with social security to make sure. You would get about 25 - 30% of his benefits. Once you reach full retirement age social security usually switch you to the highest one but I would still check to make sure it did.
You can only collect one benefits at the time. You cannot collect yours in addition to your spousal (based on his records). SSA probably told you that you are not entitled because yours are higher and in that case you have to take your benefits.
Questions?