lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I will be 62 years of age in June of 2016, my income is approximately

Customer Question

I will be 62 years of age in June of 2016, my income is approximately $72,000 and I am still working. My husband of 34 years died in 2012, I was told to file for his SS close to my 62nd birthday. Is it true I cannot collect this because my income disqualifies me unless I retire and collect it?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Yes - that is correct.While you do eligible for social security benefits - the issue is that you are below your full retirement age (FRA)Actually - you are eligible for survival spouse benefits as early as 60.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
You can work while you receive Social Security retirement (or survivors) benefits.If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, the SSA will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.So if your wages are ~$72,000 - all your social security benefits will be eliminated....Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn.