Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 76 and have been collecting social security since I was

Customer Question

I am 76 and have been collecting social security since I was 65. My wife is 65 and is not collecting SS benefits yet. She will be 66 on Sept. 8th 2016. Can we still do file and suspend for her so that she can collect 1/2 of my SS until she is 70?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It is probably because you used the terminology "file and suspend". This is different then what you want to do. The file and suspend was eliminated on May 1. The restricted application is what your wife wants to file. She will do this at full retirement age (age 66) and it will allow her to elect to receive ONLY the 50% spousal benefit and let your normal retirement benefit increase 8% per year from ages 66-70 for a total increase of 32% all while still receiving the spousal benefit. The restricted benefit was also eliminated by HR 1314 that went into effect on May 1, 2016 but she is grandfathered into this benefit because she was age 62 by December 31, 2015. So yes, the restricted application is available to her at full retirement age. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?