LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can i earn any money while on Social Security Disability

Customer Question

can i earn any money while on Social Security Disability
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening Debbie,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, you are allowed to earn some money while you are on social security disability. Let me explain. Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2016, any months you earn less than $810 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $810 gross, you begin your Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE) (see EPE. During the EPE, social security will evaluate your work and earnings to decide if you can work at the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level (see SGA).Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail:http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug