LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Can we get Medicare insurance coverage to travel to Canada

Customer Question

Can we get Medicare insurance coverage to travel to Canada ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Medicare does not provide any separate coverage that you can buy for use in Canada. In fact, the only way that Medicare will pay a medical bill incurred in Canada is if you are in route from the US mainland to Alaska traveling through Canada and you fall ill and need medical care, or if you are returning to the mainland from Alaska and deed medical care while traveling through Canada. If you will be visiting Canada and need health insurance, you will need to purchase travel insurance from a third party insurance company. Here is a discussion of this issue: You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug