lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I took my benefit at age 62. I am now . In March, my wife

Customer Question

I took my benefit at age 62. I am now 69. In March, my wife turned 70 and filed for her benefit, although she still works. It is much higher than mine. I called the SS 800 number and they told me I would get half of her benefit (combining my own regular benefit with spousal benefit). However, my benefit now (regular benefit plus spousal benefit) is about 31 per cent of hers. I called the local SS office and they said this was correct but they did not explain to my satisfaction the basis of that computation. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
The issue is that you may NOT receive both benefits at the same time...If you are eligible for both benefits - your own and spousal benefits - you will be entitled to the larger - but not to both.Regarding spousal benefits - you are entitled to 50% of your spouse's benefits at her FRA - if your spouse delayed her benefits till 70 and has increased her benefits - that doesn't affect your spousal benefits.Questions?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.If you qualify for benefits on your own record, we will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.Note:Your benefits as a spouse do not include any delayed retirement credits your spouse may receive...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.