Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

I have been married to a Canadian citizen years . She

Customer Question

I have been married to a Canadian citizen for 12 years . She has continued to work in Canada during this time. Recently, in the last 2 months she has become a USA citizen. She plans to continue to work in Canada. So my question is what benefits will she be eligible for at retirement. We are both us residents and citizens.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...US and Canada have what's called a totalization agreement. This is to Social Security and other countries' retirement systems what the tax treaty is to income taxation....Essentially, the agreement improves Social Security protection for people who work or have worked in both countries. It also helps protect the benefit rights of people who have earned Canadian Social Security credits based on residence and/or contributions in Canada....Also, because the Canadian Social Security system includes a special pension plan operated in the Province of Quebec, an additional understanding has been concluded with Quebec to extend the agreement to that province....The agreement with Canada helps many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disability or survivors benefits under the Social Security systems of one or both countries. It also helps people who would otherwise have to pay Social Security taxes to both countries on the same earnings....For the United States, the agreement covers Social Security taxes (including the U.S. Medicare portion) and Social Security retirement, disability and survivors insurance benefits. It does not cover benefits under the U.S. Medicare program or the Supplemental Security Income program....For Canada, the agreement applies to the Old-Age Security program and the Canada Pension Plan, and the understanding with Quebec applies to the Quebec Pension Plan....FROM US SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION:..."The Agreement May Help You, Your Family And Your EmployerWhile you work––If your work is covered by both the U.S. and Canadian Social Security systems, you (and your employer, if you are employed) would normally have to pay Social Security taxes to both countries for the same work. However, the agreement eliminates this double coverage so you pay taxes to only one system (see the section on "Coverage and Social Security taxes" section)....When you apply for benefits––You may have some Social Security credits in both the United States and Canada but not have enough to be eligible for benefits in one country or the other. The agreement makes it easier to qualify for benefits by letting you add together your Social Security credits in both countries. For more details, see the section on "Monthly benefits."
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
You can read the full test of the agreement here:...
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
The procedural requirements are that you must obtain a certificate of coverage from CRA to submit to US social Security to submit the coverage years in Canada to U.S. SSA in order to receive credit as if she had worked in the U.S. system....See this from CRA:...The form has two parts:The first part can be filled out online and must be signed by an employer, a self-employed person, or an authorized representative.The second part is filled out by the Canada Revenue Agency. When filled out and signed, the second part is the certificate of coverage.Fill out, sign, and send your form to: ***** CPP/EI Rulings Division Social Security Unit ***** Tower A Ottawa ON K1A 0L5 Fax:(###) ###-####nce approved, two copies of the certificate of coverage will be returned to the applicant.The certificate of coverage will show the period of time for which the certificate is valid. If there is any change in employment status or if an employee or self-employed worker returns to Canada before the date shown on the certificate of coverage issued by the Canada Revenue Agency, notify the Social Security Unit.If you have questions, call 1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-#### ***** Canada Revenue Agency accepts collect calls.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work unless you rate me positively....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/ Medicare, & estate, as well as corporate & tax, since 1986