lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My Father passed away on March 16, 2016. My Mother passed

Customer Question

My Father passed away on March 16, 2016. My Mother passed away 11 days later on March 32, 2016. Can we still apply for the lump sum payment??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
Yes - your mother was eligible for death benefits after your father passed away - and as she passed away - your father's death benefits will be paid to your mother's estate.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, he or she:•was already receiving benefits on the worker's record; or•became eligible for benefits upon the worker's death.If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child (or children) if, during the month the worker died, the child:•was already receiving benefits on the worker's record; or•became eligible for benefits upon the worker's death.If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.For more information about this lump-sum payment, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****)..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.