Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

After being common law years prior to a break up have

Customer Question

After being common law for 25 years prior to a break up have been told May collect his Social Security at his age of 65 or have also been told when he dies??? Does anybody really know the answer.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is
Yes, if you can prove a legal common law marriage of that duration, once your spouse files for his benefits, you can file for a spousal benefit if you are at least 62 - it will be between about 32% and 50% of the spouse's primary insurance amount. And yes, should he predecease you, you can then file for a widow benefit, which can be between 71.5% and 100% of his benefit amount, depending on how old you are when you file for same.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Otherwise, the only thing I need from youis a 5 start rating so I can receive credit from he company. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!